By Roger Daniels
"Once i presumed to jot down a historical past of the immigrants in the USA. Then i found that the immigrants were American history," wrote historian Oscar Handlin. Immigrants and generations in their descendants have outlined the yank kingdom from its starting and proceed to supply America's attribute variety, representing essentially each race, nationality, faith, and ethnic workforce world wide. a few immigrants got here to the recent international looking for financial achieve. Others have been introduced in chains. nonetheless others discovered safe haven in the US from spiritual or ethnic persecution.
This single-volume encyclopedia contains greater than three hundred entries, overlaying a number of elements of immigration historical past and policy:
* ethnic teams, together with census and immigration statistics, significant classes of immigration and components of payment, important faith, and historic background
* key immigration laws, resembling the chinese language Exclusion Act, Immigration Act of 1990, and Refugee Act of 1980
* phrases and ideas, together with eco-friendly card, quota procedure, citizen, naturalization, photo brides, and nativism
* different types of immigrants, together with refugees, indentured servants, teenagers, and exiles
* immigration stations: Angel Island, fortress backyard, and Ellis Island * spiritual teams and church buildings, reminiscent of Amish, Huguenots, Muslims, and jap ceremony churches
* additional analyzing lists and cross-references keep on with every one entry
An introductory essay offers a cogent review of the whole scope of the publication. greater than a hundred and fifty photos and illustrations supplement the entries. Statistical containers complement the articles with key details. a listing of immigration, ethnic, and refugee enterprises; a advisor to extra examine that incorporates books, museums, and internet sites; and a close chronology finish this beneficial source for examine in American heritage, ethnic and multicultural reviews, and genealogy.
Oxford's pupil partners to American heritage are state of the art references for faculty and residential, in particular designed and written for a while 12 via grownup. every one publication is a concise yet accomplished A-to-Z advisor to a big ancient interval or subject matter in U.S. heritage, with articles on key concerns and well known members. The authors--distinguished students famous of their components of expertise--ensure that the entries are actual, up to date, and obtainable. specified good points comprise an introductory part on tips to use the booklet, extra analyzing lists, cross-references, chronology, and whole index.
Read or Download American Immigration: A Student Companion (Oxford Student Companions to American History) PDF
Similar encyclopedias books
This 9-volume research of social sciences is a successor to the Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences (ESS, 1930-1935) and the preliminary set of the foreign Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences (IESS, 1968) -- groundbreaking MacMillan works that "established criteria for wisdom in social technological know-how examine and perform" (CHOICE, 2001).
The 1st significant reference paintings on geomorphology in thirty-five years, it is a complete consultant to either particular landforms and the most important kinds of techniques that create them. With approximately seven-hundred entries written by means of a world crew of professional members, this two-volume set offers a old evaluate of the sector, whereas exploring contemporary key discoveries approximately tectonic and climatic alterations in addition to using new strategies reminiscent of modeling, distant sensing, and procedure size.
An international background of Tax Rebellions is an exhaustive reference resource for over 4,300 years of riots, rebellions, protests, and warfare brought on by means of abusive taxation and tax gathering platforms around the globe. all the chronologically prepared entries makes a speciality of a particular old occasion, examining its roots, and socio-economic context.
Encyclopedia of worldwide Scientists, Revised version is a various and entire two-volume number of biographies of scientists. This crucial paintings comprises attention-grabbing tales of approximately 1,000 scientists - nearly 1/2 whom are girl - who've contributed considerably to their fields. All medical disciplines are represented, in addition to all classes of background way back to four hundred BCE.
Extra resources for American Immigration: A Student Companion (Oxford Student Companions to American History)
2. To restore an interior immigration enforcement program designed to locate and, through due process, cause the deportation of the five million illegal aliens currently residing in the United States. 3. To require immigration legislation that will end the current family reunification program (chain migration) and to place higher priority on skill and educational based immigrants. 4. To require legislation that will deny automatic citizenship to children born in the United States of illegal alien parents.
In the 19th century the term was appropriated by various nativist individuals and groups—one scholar speaks of an "Anglo-Saxon complex"—to describe a mythical "Anglo-Saxon race" that had an innate, genetic capacity for honesty, self-government, and so forth. Today the term is no longer current except in the ethnic slur "WASP" (White AngloSaxon Protestant). " There never was an Anglo-Saxon race, in the strict sense of the term, or even one AngloSaxon individual. SEE ALSO Nativism; WASP FURTHER READING Solomon, Barbara Miller.
Leonard, Karen I. The South Asian Americans. : Greenwood, 1997. Asians Immigration, 1986-96: 3,412,989 Immigration, 1820-1996: 7,894,571 Most scholars believe that today's Native Americans are descended from peoples who emigrated to North America tens of thousands of years ago. In modern times, only handfuls of Asians, most of them seamen, had crossed the little-traveled Pacific to the United States by the end of the 1840s. Soon after Asians began to come, discriminatory laws were enacted against them.
American Immigration: A Student Companion (Oxford Student Companions to American History) by Roger Daniels